Staffing Requirements

Every business will have different staffing requirements. Looking at your sales forecast will help predetermine your staffing needs. When hiring employees, business owners must consider  how they will recruit employees, what payroll costs they need to pay, and what associated labour regulations they are required to follow.

Determine Your Business Staffing Requirements

  • How many employees do you need to hire?
  • What are the skills and talents required?  How often will they need to work?
  • What staffing costs are associated with hiring these employees?
  • What labour regulations need to be considered and followed?
  • How will you manage and report payroll deductions?
  • Are there any government funding or incentives for hiring?

Staffing Requirements – Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay Employers Health Tax?

All employers are required to pay the Employers Health Tax. The first $500,000 of the payroll is exempt. The Employers Health Tax on self-employed income has been eliminated. For more information contact:

Mississauga Regional Tax Office
77 City Centre Drive, 1st floor
Mississauga, Ontario
L5B 1M5
Toll-free: 1-800-265-9969
Telephone: (905) 273-9490
Fax: (905) 949-3388

What Payroll deductions am I required to pay?

If you are you a trustee, an employer, or a payer of other amounts related to employment, you have to register for a payroll account.  A payroll program account is required to identify your business or organization when you remit payroll deductions.

After you have determined that you are an employer, a trustee or a payer and have opened a payroll program account, you have to calculate the CPP contributions, EI premiums, and income tax deductions based on the amounts you pay your employees. You also have to calculate your share. You should hold these amounts in trust for the Receiver General in a separate account from your operating business account.

To learn more about Payroll deductions, including setting up an account, setting up a new employee, calculating deductions, and reporting, visit – Steps for Payroll

What is WSIB? And Do I need it?

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

If you employ workers on a full-time, part-time or temporary basis in an industry or business covered under the Worker’s Compensation Act, you must register with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) within ten (10) days of employing your first worker.

It is voluntary for self-employed persons to contribute to the WSIB. Contact the nearest WSIB office to obtain a registration kit, which includes information on assessments, coverage, accident reporting requirements and appeals procedures. Call the WSIB at: (416) 344-1013 or


Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC)

Whether you are starting or growing your business, we can help! MBEC is your central source for small business information, resources and guidance. We’ll answer your questions about registering and starting a new business, preparing a business plan, taxes, government regulations, available government programs and much more! If you have a question, or would like to contact us, please submit an inquiry or visit the MBEC office at the Mississauga Central Library (4th Floor).

Learn about: Starting a Business Growing a Business

MBEC Ask a Question