Register Your Business
A business name registration refers to a registration under the Business Names Act. It applies to small business owners who want to register a sole proprietorship, a partnership or an operating name (trade name) for a corporation. The name of a new business must be registered if it is different than the business owner’s legal name.
It is important to note that the Master Business License, received at the time of registration, expires after 5 years and must be renewed. The Companies and Personal Property Security Branch, Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Business Services (MCBS) does not send reminder notices. There are two types of business name registration in Ontario.
To register a business:
- In-person –Service Ontario location at 1 Gateway Boulevard, Brampton, Ontario Hours: 8:30 am – 3:30 pm Phone: 1-800-267- 8097 to make an appointment
- Online – www.businessregistraton.gc.ca – If you require assistance when registering online, the Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC) has self-serve computers and staff to assist with any questions.
To incorporate a business:
- Hire a lawyer
- Incorporate your business online – Provincial Incorporation www.cyberbahngroup.com / www.oncorp.com / www.eservicecorp.ca
- Federal Incorporation – Corporations Canada
How to Register Your Business – Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions – Starting a Small Business
- 10 Steps to Starting a Business – Infographic
Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC)
Whether you are starting or growing your business, we can help! MBEC is your central source for small business information, resources and guidance. We’ll answer your questions about registering and starting a new business, preparing a business plan, taxes, government regulations, available government programs and much more! If you have a question, or would like to contact us, please submit an inquiry or visit the MBEC office at the Mississauga Central Library (4th Floor).