Conduct Market Research
Market research provides you with an understanding of your customers, your competitors, and your business environment to help you start your business. Market research is the process of getting the information to help you develop your business plan. It will give you the information needed to make informed business decisions to start your business, as well as a reference to stay innovative and competitive as you grow your business.
Questions to consider when doing Market Research
- Do you know your customer? i.e. Who are they? What are their purchasing habits? Where are they?
- What are the opportunities to grow a profitable business? i.e. What are the industry trends? What are emerging markets? What other products/services can you offer?
- What are the current trends in the economy and your industry that can impact your business? How will you prepare? i.e. staffing, etc.
- Who are the competitors in in your market?
- How will you document, update and evaluate your research? e.g. business plan
Market Research - Frequently Asked Questions
How can I learn about Mississauga Population and demographics?
Mississauga Data is our corporate open data website. Historical planning data including key statistics on Mississauga population, demographics, census, development, monitoring/activity, growth forecasts, housing employment, office, land use, vacant lands and the environment can also be found here.
Is there a map showing places of interest in Mississauga?
Mississauga’s Interactive Online Map allows you to: browse and explore the City’s mapping; overlay current and historical aerial photography; locate a street address or property; print maps to scale and more.
- browse and explore accurate, regularly maintained mapping data
- view current and historical aerial photography
- search and locate an address
- search and locate a street intersection
- search and locate points of interest, such as parks
- measure distances and areas
- view the location and details of survey monuments
- view the location and details of City-planted trees
- rotate the map and click an Arrow button for true-north
Can I find a list of businesses in Mississauga?
The Economic Development Office, in partnership with Planning & Building Department, provides a list of businesses in Mississauga which can be accessed through the Mississauga business directory. The Mississauga Business Directory is a free and interactive online tool that shows the geographic location of the businesses within Mississauga. It lists only the businesses that agreed to be included in the Business Directory.
What are the best websites for market research information?
Market research can help you develop a marketing plan and prepare your business to sell your product or service. Here are some helpful websites to visit when doing market research.
- Community Profiles and Data – Mississauga
- Community Profiles and Data – Region of Peel
- Statistics Canada
- BDC.ca- A Practical Guide to Market Research
- CanadaBusiness.ca – Business Planning, Market Research and Statistics
- Research and Statistics
- Secondary Market Research Service
- Financial Performance Data
- Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
- Market Research and Intelligence Association
- Community Profiles and Mapping
- Mississauga Library e-resources
- Scott’s Business Directory– Covers organizations and key business contacts in Canadian manufacturing, industrial, business services, healthcare, government, and educational market sectors.
- Canadian Business Online– A directory to business and non-profit organizations in Canada, searchable by one or more criteria, for example by type of business, geographic area, and/or number of employees.
- Peel Region Neighbourhood Information Tool(Mississauga, Brampton)
- Mississauga Business Directory
MISSISSAUGA BUSINESS ENTERPRISE CENTRE (MBEC)
Whether you are starting or growing your business, we can help!
MBEC is your central source for small business information, resources and guidance. We’ll answer your questions about registering and starting a new business, preparing a business plan, taxes, available government programs and much more! If you have a question, or would like to contact us, please submit an inquiry or visit the MBEC office at the Mississauga Central Library (4th Floor).