The Starter Company PLUS program will assist people 18 years and over interested in starting, expanding or purchasing a business in Mississauga.
The program provides:
- Free training and business skills development
- Free mentorship and guidance
- Opportunity to apply for a program grant of up to $5,000 after the completion of mandatory training and mentorship
The Starter Company PLUS Program is delivered by the Mississauga Business Entrepreneur Centre (MBEC) for the Mississauga area. MBEC is a business unit of the City of Mississauga’s Economic Development Office. The Starter Company PLUS program is funded by the Province of Ontario and is delivered by Small Business Entrepreneur Centres (“SBECs”) similar to MBEC across Ontario who are part of the Province’s Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). For information about the program outside of the Mississauga area, please refer to the list of Small Business Entrepreneur Centres and Community-Based Provider Locations in Ontario.
To apply to the Starter Company PLUS Program in Mississauga, you must confirm your eligibility to participate in the program and attend a mandatory info session. Attendance at the info session does not guarantee acceptance into the program or the receipt of a program grant.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO APPLY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STARTER COMPANY PLUS PROGRAM?
To be eligible for the Starter Company PLUS Program in Mississauga, the program applicant must meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Not attending school full time nor returning to school
- Be proposing starting a new business, expanding an existing business or buying a business in Mississauga
- Be prepared to commit a minimum of 35 hours a week to running a full-time business
- Be prepared to attend scheduled mandatory training and mentorship meetings as per program schedule
- Not enrolled in other provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance
- Not currently enrolled concurrently in any self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing programs offered by government funded organizations
- Not have received a Starter Company Program or Starter Company Plus Program grant in the past
- If there are two or more partners in the business, the partner who is applying to the program must confirm a minimum of 51% ownership of the business to participate in the program and would be responsible to apply for the program grant
- Provide proof of 25% contribution of the potential program grant (up to $1250). Contributions can be in cash or in-kind contributions as approved by MBEC.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, A BUSINESS OR PROPOSED BUSINESS MUST:
- Be an independent business venture based in Mississauga
- Not be a business that relies on commissioned sales
- Be a legal business in Ontario
- Not be a franchise
- Operate at arm’s length from family business ventures
- Operate full-time as defined in the business plan
- Maintain its own books and records
- Have a Master Business License or Articles of Incorporation, or plan to register the business
- Maintain a separate bank account
- Follow all government rules and regulations and applicable by-laws for the operation of the business
- Demonstrate a viable and sales ready business plan at the time of funding
Please note: Mississauga’s Starter Company PLUS program will give priority to Mississauga-based entrepreneurs interested in starting a new online business, expansion of an existing main street business including retail, bars, restaurants and cafes, and professionals in the creative industries.
How can you register to attend the mandatory information session?
Before you can apply to Mississauga’s Starter Company PLUS program, you must attend a mandatory Starter Company PLUS info session.
This information session will provide you with important information about the Starter Company PLUS program in Mississauga including:
- Eligibility requirements
- Program requirements and expectations
- Program training and mentorship, and schedule
- Information about the program grant opportunity
If you are interested in learning more about Mississauga’s Starter Company PLUS program and how to apply to the program, you must register for ONE of the following MANDATORY Starter Company PLUS info sessions which will be offered virtually on the following dates:
Wednesday, August 4, 2021
6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, August 5, 2021
10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Please click on a date above to register to attend ONE mandatory info session. Pre-Registration is required to attend info session.
Approval to participate in the Starter Company PLUS program is a competitive process. Attendance at a mandatory info session does not guarantee eligibility to apply to the program or approval to participate in the program. There are limited spots available for participation in the program. The process by which this program is delivered in Mississauga is subject to change.
Testimonials from past participants:
“I am a huge fan of the program,” Shams said. “When I sat down with my mentor and went through the business plan, she showed me how my model was limiting me and wouldn’t be sustainable. The business couldn’t grow because the commissions were just too low. Now, because of their help, we have a model that is fairer for everyone and we can do even more.” | Read Sham’s Story >
Pereira attributes some of his success in transitioning from painting contractor to custom finishings specialist to his participation in the Starter Company PLUS Program through the Mississauga Business Entrepreneur Centre (MBEC). “It helped in so many ways,” Pereira remembered. “I’d had a business plan before, but I couldn’t see it as anything beyond numbers on paper, but with the program and the people at MBEC, I could document all of my thoughts and was finally able to evaluate my business. I could see where I was and where I wanted to go.” | Luis’s Story >
“The Starter Company Plus Program is going to change my life,” she said. “With this grant, I can move to the next level. When I started, I had an idea and just a basic draft of a business plan. After four months of webinars, consultations and mentoring, I pitched the final result.” | Read Lara’s Story >
MISSISSAUGA BUSINESS ENTREPRENEUR CENTRE (MBEC)
Whether you are starting or growing your business, we can help!
MBEC is your central source for small business information, resources and guidance. We’ll answer your questions about registering and starting a new business, preparing a business plan, taxes, available government programs and much more! If you have a question, or would like to speak to a consultant, please contact us.