The Starter Company PLUS program assists people 18 years and over interested in starting, expanding or purchasing a business in Mississauga.
The program is open to business owners and entrepreneurs who are interested in starting or expanding their business in Mississauga.
The 2019 Starter Company Plus program intake in Mississauga is closed. The 2020 program intake will take place this Fall 2020. Please visit this web page for updates on when the program will open for Fall 2020.
The program provides:
- Free training and business skills development
- Free mentorship and guidance
- Opportunity to apply for a program grant of up to $5,000 after the completion of mandatory training and mentoring. Acceptance and participation in the program does not guarantee receiving the program grant.
The Starter Company PLUS Program is delivered by the Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC) for the Mississauga area. MBEC is a business unit of the City of Mississauga’s Economic Development Office.
The Starter Company Plus program is funded by the Province of Ontario and is delivered by Small Business Enterprise Centres (“SBECs”) similar to MBEC across Ontario who are part of the Province’s Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). For information about the program outside of the Mississauga area, please refer to the list of Small Business Entrepreneur Centres and Community-Based Provider Locations in Ontario.
To apply to the Starter Company Program in Mississauga, you must confirm your eligibility to participate in the program and attend a mandatory orientation session.
TO BE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STARTER COMPANY PLUS PROGRAM?
To be eligible for the Starter Company PLUS Program in Mississauga, the program applicant must meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements, which includes:
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Not attending school full time nor returning to school
- Be proposing starting a new business, expanding an existing business or buying a business in Mississauga
- Be prepared to commit a minimum of 35 hours a week to running a full-time business
- Be prepared to attend scheduled training and mentorship meetings
- Not enrolled in other provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance
- Not currently enrolled concurrently in any self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing programs offered by government funded organizations.
- Not have received a Starter Company Program or Starter Company Plus Program grant in the past
- If there are two or more partners in the business, the partner who is applying to the program must confirm a minimum of 51% ownership of the business to participate in the program and apply for the program grant.
- Provide proof of 25% contribution of the potential program grant ($1250). Contributions can be in cash or in-kind contributions as approved by MBEC.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, A BUSINESS OR PROPOSED BUSINESS MUST:
- Be an independent business venture based in Mississauga
- Not be a business that relies on commissioned sales
- Be a legal business in Ontario
- Not be a franchise
- Operate at arm’s length from family business ventures
- Operate full-time as defined in the business plan
- Maintain its own books and records
- Have a Master Business License or Articles of Incorporation, or plan to register the business
- Maintain a separate bank account
- Follow all government rules and regulations and applicable by-laws for the operation of the business
- Demonstrate a viable and sales ready business plan at the time of funding
How can you register to attend the mandatory orientation session?
Before you can apply to Mississauga’s Starter Company Plus program, you must attend a mandatory Starter Company Plus orientation session.
This orientation session is open to small business owners and entrepreneurs interested in starting or expanding their business in Mississauga.
This orientation session will provide you with additional information about the Starter Company Plus program in Mississauga including:
- Eligibility requirements
- Program requirements and expectations
- Program training and mentorship, and schedule
- and information about the program grant opportunity.
If you are interested in learning more about Mississauga’s Starter Company Plus program and how to apply to the program, you must register for the following MANDATORY Starter Company Plus orientation session:
Please click on the date above to register to attend the mandatory orientation webinar. Pre-Registration is required to attend the webinar.
Approval to participate in the Starter Company Plus program is a competitive process. Attendance at this mandatory orientation session does not guarantee eligibility to apply to the program or approval to participate in the program. There are limited spots available for participation in the program. The process by which this program is delivered in Mississauga is subject to change.
Testimonials from past participants:
“I have had a great experience working with MBEC and the Starter Company PLUS Program as I was working to get my Physiotherapy Clinic up and running…I received invaluable personalized assistance with many aspects of my business, from preparing the business plan, financials, and social media marketing strategies, and was able to successfully pitch for the $5000 grant. That money has been key for me being able to buy signs for my clinic windows, and clinic equipment that I could purchase and use immediately.” -Lynda McClatchie, PT, MSc, CertMDT, Owner of Elevation Physiotherapy & Wellness (Starter Company PLUS Program 2017)
“… The mentorship, grant and support offered as part of Starter Company PLUS program, strengthened my existing business, helped me to expand, and was instrumental in executing my vision for the business.“ -Praveen Udagani, Founder of Flaxy Inc. (Starter Company PLUS Program 2017)
“The Starter Company Plus program is a strong way to learn more about your business, utilize smart training from MBEC and a must do for those looking to expand. The knowledgeable leadership team was able to answer all my questions and provide sound advice on moving forward with expanding my business. Great team, great info; I fully endorse the program!” – Jay K, Founder of Modern Mississauga (Starter Company PLUS Program 2018)
MISSISSAUGA BUSINESS ENTERPRISE CENTRE (MBEC)
Whether you are starting or growing your business, we can help!
MBEC is your central source for small business information, resources and guidance. We’ll answer your questions about registering and starting a new business, preparing a business plan, taxes, available government programs and much more! If you have a question, or would like to contact us, please submit an inquiry or visit the MBEC office at the Mississauga Central Library (4th Floor).